[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 14 08:12:17 UTC 2012

It looks like it was dropped in alsa-utils 1.0.17-1, but I'm running
1.0.24.2 which has  it back.

Running apropos alsa I show:
apropos alsa
aconnect []          (1)  - ALSA sequencer connection manager
alsaconf []          (8)  - configuration tool for the Advanced Linux
Sound Architecture
alsactl []           (1)  - advanced controls for ALSA soundcard driver
alsactl init []      (7)  - alsa control management - initialization
alsamixer []         (1)  - soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard driver,
with ncurses interface
amidi []             (1)  - read from and write to ALSA RawMIDI ports
amixer []            (1)  - command-line mixer for ALSA soundcard driver
aoss []              (1)  - Wrapper script to facilitate use of the ALSA
OSS compatibility library
aplay []             (1)  - command-line sound recorder and player for
ALSA soundcard driver
arecord []           (1)  - command-line sound recorder and player for
ALSA soundcard driver
aseqdump []          (1)  - show the events received at an ALSA
sequencer port
aseqnet []           (1)  - ALSA sequencer connectors over network
speaker []           (1)  - test - command-line speaker test tone
generator for ALSA

alsaconf would set up the card if it can find it and alsactl would let
you adjust advanced features of the card.

You might try

alsactl init

which did find my hardware:

Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC889"
"HDA:10ec0889,14627576,00100004" "0x1462" "0x7576"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

Checking what the current alsaconf does:

Alsaconf is a simple shell script which tries to detect the sound cards
on your system and writes a suitable configuration file for
        ALSA. It will try to guess what GNU/Linux distribution you're
running, and will act accordingly to the standards of that  distribu-
        tion, if specific support is available.

        Alsaconf will write a module-init-tools (or modutils) snippet
which can be then used by module-init-tools (or modutils) to load the
        correct parameters for your sound card.

This might be what you're looking for.

Alvin