[Techtalk] more cores, more slows

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jun 22 04:53:46 UTC 2012

Web pages are definitely the worst offenders, but I expected better performance
for audio recording and video transcoding as well. My little ole Thinkpad with
a budget dual-core Intel Core Duo rips through audio and video files measurably
faster. And I expected that with multiple cores an errant Web page would not
bog down the whole system, but often it does. Though don't even get me started
on Firefox. The most meh Web browser millions of dollars can build :) So I was
thinking it might be worth trying an Intel processor and board, but then I
looked at prices and remembered why I stick with AMD.

I'll go ahead and do some performance troubleshooting as wise Chixxors
suggested. Maybe there is some system tuning I can do. Maybe I'll just give up
computing, go live in a yurt, and make goat cheese.

best,
Carla

--
Carla Schroder