[Techtalk] more cores, more slows

Veronica K. B. jadzia626 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:50:41 UTC 2012

On 19 June 2012 19:44, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> hiho,
>
> It seems the more powerful hardware gets, the more software sucks it up,
> so it
> still feels like driving an old 486 SX. My main PC has an AMD Phenom 8750
> triple-core processor with 4GB RAM, and a discrete Nvidia graphics card
> running the Nvidia driver. I use this machine for video, audio, and photo
> editing.  I thought that with three cores there would be less lag on all of
> these CPU-intensive tasks, and it is better than the old cheapie one-core
> CPUs, but I'm still feeling like it should be better.
>
> The biggest offender is Web pages. Facebook is nasty, of course, with all
> of
> its squillion random scripts coded by gerbils on crack, and lots of other.
> Is
> it worth upgrading to Intel? Or a higher-end AMD? Am I forever doomed to be
> disappointed?
>
> Carla
> --

Yeah, I've noticed the bloating too. Worked for many years as an IT admin
with Windows. Noticed a significant increase in performance when I switched
to Linux. Still, web is the main resource hog, and Facebook
is particularly horrible at that.

My desktop is an AMD Phenom II Hex-core bought in 2010. It is doing very
well, and performs great with my high performance numerical computation
code.

--
Veronica