[Techtalk] DNS question

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Wed Jun 13 16:16:39 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I've done a lot of googling but am struggling to find an answer. What is
the correct way to set up this situation in DNS?

I have a VPS that I want to assign the name mail1.example.com. I also
intend to use the domain example.com for a web site. The server has only
one IP.  Should there be two separate entries for mail1.example.com and
example.com? Or should there be just one for example.com with an A
record for mail1?  The mail1 will also serve some other domains I have.

I used to use a cpanel-based VPS and the hosting company set up the
entry for the server and used the mail1.example.com. I then had to add a
separate record for example.com in order to set up a website.  I'm now
happily on a VPS with no cpanel and able to manage my own DNS.  I was
wondering why two different records were entered on the managed VPS and
if there are any advantages/disadvantages to the two different ways.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Terry