[Techtalk] mutt direcories

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Jan 29 21:05:07 UTC 2012

Hi, all,

Today I have been configuring mutt to handle all my mailing lists on the business server. I am a little confused by the directory arrangement.

Mail comes in and is stored in /var/mail/anotheranne

Starting Mutt automagically opens that directory where I can see new mail. Then on exit I am asked if I want to move read messages to ~/mail/inbox. I find
I can also access that using the 'c' command, and can create a whole hierachy of directories under ~/mail.

It just seems unusual to have 2 'inboxes', is this just how it works or is there some specific reason. Any
standalone mail client like Claws of course just puts the mail into its own inbox so first time around this seems odd.

bestest to you all
Anne