[Techtalk] what is bricking?

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Thu Jan 26 06:01:00 UTC 2012

As a safety feature to keep capacitors from blowing up  like a stick of
dynamite, many have vents that blow out at the leads. Since the leads
are at the bottom of the board, you may not ever see where the smoke
came from. Most of these have a rubber stopper type bottom that the
leads come out of. This is for "soft" capacitor failures and it's the
more common method for failing.

On some of the larger electrolytic capacitors, you'll see a "cross"
pattern on the top of the capacitor. IF the capacitor has a "hard"
failure, this cross pattern tears open and the coiled up metal films and
insulator ribbon come rolling out with a lot of force. These have a
really  loud bang, like a gun shot; and the smell, smoke and mess is
spectacular!

I had a sealed HVAC  (High Voltage AC) capacitor go in the more
spectacular fashion on my air conditioner compressor outside my house.
It sounded like a .38 or 9mm caliber pistol next to the house, blew the
entire end off of the welded, sealed lid and spewed about 40 feet of
metal films and insulator ribbon inside the housing, as well as denting
the sides of the steel enclosure. Electrolyte compound gooey, sticky
mess covering everything! I had to clean the contactors on the switches,
one of which was glued shut from the electrolyte. Yuck! You have to
wash  your hands well after handling the electrolyte as most of it is
caustic.

The amount of bang and physical destruction depends on the capacitor
value and voltage. This is where all the energy is; and the more energy,
the greater the bang. A 100 microFarad 10V capacitor might make a
phhfffft! sound while a 180,000 microFarad 10,000 Volt capacitor is a
few sticks of dynamite.

Alvin