[Techtalk] Can I use one gateway/router?

Eeva Järvinen ejarvinen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 08:57:08 UTC 2012

2012/1/25 Rumbidzayi Gadhula <rumbiles at gmail.com>:
> Dear All
>
> I have setup a shared network with 3 subnets 192.168.0.0, 192.168.2.0,
> 192.168.3.0, on a linux dhcp server. The server is able to distribute the
> subnets. My problem is I have one gateway on the network and only one
> subnet gets access to it. How do I enable the subnets use the same gateway
> (192.168.0.1) ?

My iptables-fu isn't exactly up to speed, but I'd just "proxy" the
gateway to the two subnets - i.e. make the gateway appear as
192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1, respectively by NATing the packets
suitably. Or, set up the linux box to act as the gateway to the
(actual) gateway - both solutions have the gateway appear at three
addresses. It's possible there's some other way to do it, this is just
off the top of my head.

hth,
Eeva