[Techtalk] what is bricking?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:24:59 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Carla Schroder wrote:

> I had some capacitors fail on a video card once upon a time. I
> heard these mysterious small booms from time to time but had no
> idea what they were. The card didn't fail until the fourth
> capacitor croaked. Piccies here:

> 'Linux Works Even When Your PC is Committing Suicide '
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6728/2

Awesome photo! You know, my son's computer recently committed
suicide, and there was a pop that we both heard a couple of days
before the whole thing stopped working. Oddly enough, after the pop
he was still able to boot successfully for two more days, but there
was some odd, random (and random is always very, very bad)
misbehavior with eventual failure to boot at all. We bought him some
nice new hardware and rebuilt his computer, but there is absolutely
nothing visibly wrong with his old stuff, even if you use a
magnifying glass to look. Gremlins... (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.