[Techtalk] Data recovery help

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:44:19 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Cindy Wong wrote:

> I bought an external hard drive over the weekend and intended to
> use it across Windows 7, Linux Mint 12, and Mac OSX Lion.  Since
> the drive came preformatted in NTFS, I intended to format it into
> FAT32.

> I plugged it into Linux and reformatted the partition into FAT, but
> I forgot to change the partition type from 0x07 (NTFS) to 0x0c
> (FAT32).

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your drive, and I can't
offer any suggestions on whether the data can be recovered, but I
hope you kept a backup of the original data you transferred over.

Whenever I buy a new drive, it goes into limbo, which means it gets
connected to the machine and it gets written to and deleted from
daily, but not with anything important. If it behaves itself well for
a month, then it comes out of limbo and is treated as a trusted
drive. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.