[Techtalk] dns issue

TraceyC grrliegeek at elenari.net
Thu Jan 12 15:58:24 UTC 2012

Re-sending to the list....

On 01/12/2012 08:04 AM, Wim De Smet wrote:
> Hi Tracey,
>
> Are you sure ns1 needs an A-record for dns.shadlen.org?
I'm 100% sure that what the registrar reports via whois needs to match
what the nameservers report for nameserver hostnames. I'm also 100% sure
the proper nameservers all need A records. If a client is told "the ns
servers for domain.com are ns.domain.com and dns.otherdomain.com" and
those nameservers can't be resolved, there will be problems. Having
stealth and / or lame nameservers cause problems, for more information,
you can see:
http://corpocrat.com/2009/10/01/troubleshooting-common-dns-misconfiguration-errors/

In my job, we see this all the time. Mismatched nameservers, and
nameservers that don't have A records, cause all sorts of DNS failures.
Some of them are problems exactly like this one. We've seen that
specific error from Google mail before, as well.

P.S. My apologies for the duplicate message. Thunderbird was being
stubborn, the first attempt didn't look like the message was actually sent.

--
Tracey