[Techtalk] Dolphin sort order

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 08:26:32 UTC 2011

Hey there,

I use Kubuntu Lucid Lynx with the Dolphin and Konqueror file managers
installed by default. Both share the same settings, but I tend to use
Dolphin the most.

I have the view set to sort files in ascending order by name. My idea
of what that means is that it should go from A to Z so that if I wish
to find a file that starts with A, I look at the top of the list, and
if I want to find a file that starts with Z, I look at the bottom of
the list. Dolphin and Konqueror have their own idea of how file
sorting should be done. They sort first the upper case hidden files,
then the lower case hidden files, then the upper case files, then the
lower case files. For example:

.A
.B
.C
.a
.b
.c

This means that if I want to find the A file, I have to look in the
middle of the list, which to me is nonintuitive. For all the years
that I've been using Kubuntu I've always had a moment of hesitation
when looking for a file because I have to think to myself which kind
of file name it is so that I know where to look in the list. This
would not be a problem in short listings, but I tend to have large
directories.

I would really like to have all the same letters together, like this:

.A
.a
.B
.b
.C
.c

Is it possible, or am I wishing on a star? (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.