[Techtalk] script to change uppercase to title case in OFX/QFX

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 29 20:42:13 UTC 2011

It is MUCH too quiet here. So here is a little problem for you fine brainiacs.
I import OFX/QFX files from my bank accounts into GnuCash, a nice time saver.
BUT. It is all uppercase, so it's like GnuCash is shouting at me, which makes
me sad. I've been trying to figure out a nice one-liner or script to convert
selected fields to title case, and so far have failed utterly. QFX is Quicken's
proprietary "enhancement" to the open OFX format; it includes some secret
magic somewhere to force institutions to pay royalties. Nice, eh? But I
digress. Both are a form of SGML, and this is what it looks like:

<STMTTRN>
   <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
   <DTPOSTED>20111125000000[-5:EST]
   <TRNAMT>-22.71
   <FITID>****

   <NAME>CHESTERS THRIFTWAY       JOHN
   <MEMO>CHESTERS THRIFTWAY    JOHN DAY   OR 11-25-11 330346
</STMTTRN>

<STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>DEBIT
   <DTPOSTED>20111125000000[-5:EST]
   <TRNAMT>-4.56
   <FITID>***

   <NAME>USPS 4058720860963919    MOUNT
   <MEMO>USPS 4058720860963919  MOUNT VERNON OR 11-24-11 910453
</STMTTRN>

I want the NAME and MEMO fields in title case. The tags need to be in
uppercase; I don't know if this part of the spec or a limitation in GnuCash.
Is this too much to ask? So much happiness it would bring. I have tried
various things myself and not figured out the magic that selects only the NAME
and MEMO data without changing tags or other data fields.

thanks :)

Carla

Carla Schroder, ace Linux guru and howto author
541-932-4817 PT
carla at tuxcomputing.com