[Techtalk] any Red Hat peeps here?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri May 20 18:46:28 UTC 2011

hey all,

I figured out how to do a net install from boot.iso, from
ftp.redhat.com. This is more of a workaround than a solution, since
it's not documented anywhere on RH that I can find, and ftp.redhat.com
doesn't have current releases. But here are the steps for anyone who is
interested:

Go to ftp.redhat.com and click on stuff until you find what you want.
For example, I want to review RHEL 6 Desktop. Guess what, there is no
RHEL 6 Desktop, but only RHEL 6 Workstation, even though it says on
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/ there are desktop and workstation
editions. Whatever.

Next, find your os/ directory, like
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/6.0/i386/os/

In this directory is an images/ directory. Download images/boot.iso,
which is around 200 MB. Burn to CD and boot the system you're installing
RH on with boot.iso. When you get to the screen where you select the
installation media, I forget if it says URL, or FTP/HTTP. Anyway pick
the network one, not hard drive, NFS, or cd/dvd.

Next your network interface will be configured, and woe be unto you if
it's wireless, because most likely it will fail. Wired Ethernet is
safest.

Then when you get to the screen where it asks for the URL, enter the
full path ending in os/ like this:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/6.0/i386/os/

If you get it right it will download install.img, which takes awhile.
I didn't go beyond this step because I am fed up with the whole mess,
but if nothing else breaks the next steps should be the usual
partitioning and package selection.

Carla