[Techtalk] Home server - Where to start?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu May 5 23:05:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:15:01PM +0200, Svenja S. wrote:
> Anyway, we've just bought an EEEbox that we're planning to use as a home
> server and for multimedia (and to play around a bit...). Not sure
> whether that is such a great idea, but I didn't pay for the thing...
> I've been using Arch Linux for a while, so this is what I'd like to
> install on the machine. But I don't have any experience in running a
> server, so do you have any suggestions how I could get an idea of what
> could be done with this thing and how?

Well, one of the advantages of Arch Linux is that they do have good
documentation, so looking there would be a good start.

> First, we would like to run a file server, plus I've always wanted my
> own mail server, but that will have to wait until I really know what I'm
> doing ;)

Whatever you choose for a mailserver, *don't* use sendmail; it is really
hard to configure.  I use Postfix myself, but that doesn't mean that
Postfix is the only easy mailserver.

If you want to set up webmail as well, I suggest Dovecot for the IMAP
server and roundcube for the webmail - though Squirrelmail is also good
for webmail, roundcube looks prettier (grin).

--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>