[Techtalk] good chain from exim4 and maildir to webmail and mutt?

Monique Y. Mudama monique at bounceswoosh.org
Sat Jan 29 01:48:33 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have been running exim4 with mbox on an ancient server.

I am upgrading to totally new hardware, and I'm doing it with a fresh
install of Debian Unstable.

My givens are : Debian Unstable, exim4, and maildir.  I definitely
want to convert from mbox to maildir, and this seems like a good time.

Hrm.  I'm assuming exim4, but I guess if there is a really good
argument for why I should consider postfix or something else, I might
consider that, as well.  I currently use greylisting as well as spamd
and procmail to limit spam.

My goal is to have an email system that allows me to check email both
via mutt and via some https webmail interface on the same machine.

The only users are typically me and my husband, but I will have plenty
of hardware to have more users if I wanted to.

My understanding is that in addition to a webmail system, I will also
need an IMAP system.  Do you have any recommendations?  Can I have
mutt hit the maildir files directly (my preference), or do I need to
have mutt talk to IMAP to keep file integrity?

I would welcome any suggestions!

--
monique