[Techtalk] communication on own network

Pat Day patday at sunbirdsystems.net
Sun Jan 2 07:13:14 UTC 2011

On 1/1/11 3:51 AM, Anne Wainwright wrote:
>> LinPopUp is a Xwindow graphical port of Winpopup, running over Samba.
>> It permits to communicate with a windows computer that runs Winpopup,
>> sending or receiving message. ( It also provides an alternative way
>> to communicate between Linux computers that run Samba ).
> http://www.littleigloo.org/software_002.php3
>
> Thus certainly looks as if it would do what I want - send a message to
> pop up on a colleagues work station. But ...
>
> ... to date I have not been able to install this. There is no package
> available for (my version of) ubuntu, and the Debian package
> will not install
>
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libglib1.2ldbl (>= 1.2.10-18)
I installed this on my gentoo box.
While it compiled ok, there was a caution regarding "poor programming
practice" such that there might be runtime errors.

The downloadable version at littleigloo was 1.2.0.  Gentoo, however,
installed the 2.0.4 version.
Try http://linpopup2.sourceforge.net

There were no dependencies listed in my install.  But I checked in
/usr/lib/ and see both libglib 1.2 and 2.0.