[Techtalk] Enterprise Quickbooks on Linux

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sat Feb 5 21:46:07 UTC 2011

Got it working.  Intuit was of surprisingly little help.  They answered
quickly but the tech had no idea how to answer my question, gave bad advice,
and the printed documentation QuickBooks provides is just 100% wrong.

The documentation says users should be in single user mode.  That is wrong.

The Intuit tech told me that all the users had to have the same samba login.
That is also wrong.

The solution was for everyone to get into Multi-user mode, and (as long as
everyone stays in multi-user mode) not to worry when the files automatically
chmod to 644 because that is the daemon's doing, and the changes on the
files aren't really made by the users but by the daemon.

It is doable, but not elegant, as Intuit hasn't put much effort into making
this work smoothly nor supplying accurate documentation.

Meryll Larkin