[Techtalk] what does 'aol' mean?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Thu Feb 3 16:28:59 UTC 2011

carla wrote:
> What does 'aol' mean, when it doesn't mean America Online? I see people
> leaving this as a cryptic response to comments.

On Usenet, it came to mean "Me too!", in reference to the many postings
from @aol.com users that added only those two words to a discussion.
Sometimes people will open a post with it before going into how their
experience of something differed in detail from the previous poster's.

However, there are enough subcultures in this world, and enough
miscommunications of memes, that you might do well to verify directly
their understanding of its meaning with a person using the term.

--
Anthony de Boer