[Techtalk] Host names on a LAN

Maria Pinjanainen maria at tietonoita.fi
Thu Feb 3 09:07:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 11:43 -0800, Maria Mckinley wrote:

> If dhcp is truly configurable on your home router, you can just set up
> entries based on MAC addresses:
>
> host buddy {
>    hardware ethernet 00:14:51:03:2c:1e;
>    fixed-address 10.123.456.78;
>    }
>
> Then the laptop will always get the same address at home, but will still
> be using dhcp, so it will work normally outside the house.
>
> ~maria

I can not use my home router as a dhcp server. :(
Only bridged mode is working. I have tried several different adsl
routes, but no one is working well. (alink, zyxel, asus, dlink...) One
old roadrunner ADSL-router is working well as bridged mode.
Now I use two ip-addresses with same network card to make my own
network.
I have eth0 to get address from my ISP and eth0:1 has a static address.

The network/interfaces file can be like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface