[Techtalk] My son is a network hog -- limiting usage on one computer (fedora 15)?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 19:46:42 UTC 2011

Hey there,

Gwen Morse wrote:

> We have 5 people sharing the internet connection in our home. We
> have a peak/off peak plan with something like 50 or 60 gigs split
> between the two times. Changing the data plan and/or updating the
> configuration on the router are not options. My husband and I rent
> from my husband's parents and they refuse any changes of that sort.
> Their house, their rules. :).
>
> That said, my 19 year old son is burning through the household
> bandwidth every month watching Youtube videos, listening to
> podcasts, and doing whatever else it is he's actually doing.
>
> I do *not* want to monitor the specifics of what he's doing. He's
> 19 and can do what he likes (within legal reason). I want all of us
> to stop being throttled because one person in the house is a
> network pig. I've talked to my son repeatedly but he still keeps
> going over the limit.
>
> What I'd like is to know what I can use to set a nice round limit
> (say 1 gig a month) and have it monitor his usage and then throttle
> him on his laptop if he goes over that limit. After a month it
> would reset and start all over again.
>
> Many/most ISPs use linux (or unix) for their servers and I was
> wondering what package I could use to do something like this?
>
> I've looked at some traffic shaping software but I'm not sure
> that's what I want. I don't want to prioritize certain traffic. I
> just want to (almost) cut him off once he goes over a predetermined
> limit.

A friend of mine said you want to search for "packet shaping" when
looking for something like that, so I did a Google search for fedora
15 packet shaping. Here's one of the first things I found, although
you may already have considered it:

http://www.mastershaper.org/index.php/Main_Page

--
Little Girl