[Techtalk] a taste of Raspberry PI

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Dec 1 01:19:43 UTC 2011

No idea. I'm hoping they become available out here in Australia. I have
a feeling I'll have to order mine online from UK.

I only found out about it accidentally while reading the blog of Barry
Kauler, the guy who began Puppy Linux, where he mentioned that he'd
compiled a version of Puppy that runs on RaspberryPi. He must have a
prerelease board.

(Puppy Linux is a very fast, very small Linux that fits in about 100MB.
Its standard form is as a bootable CD which can run as is, or installed
to the hard drive. Its speed and small size, and its special efforts at
supporting legacy hardware as well as newer architectures makes it
perfect for older, slower, normally discarded computers. That 100MB
contains more than just the bare OS, it includes wordprocessor,
spreadsheet, multimedia player supporting virtually all codecs out of
the box, easy net connection with web/email/IRC/IM/FTP clients,
CD/DVD/BluRay burner, and much more. -- please excuse my gushing about
Puppy. :)

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory