[Techtalk] factory install of linux & its partition allocation

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:24:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Anne Wainwright wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a new laptop with a factory install of ubuntu.
>> The partitioning scheme seems really weird.
>> 2.5GB linux swap              dev/sda9
>> 4.9GB linux swap              dev/sda7
>> 6.1GB linux swap              dev/sda5

> On a serious note, though, that does seem like someone went partition
> crazy and didn't know what they were doing. I have to say I'm jealous
> of your three swap partitions, though. How does it run?

Done like this, I can't see any real sense to it.  Three swap
partitions on three different physical drives might get you a
performance improvement, as all the drives can be active at once; but
this would depend on the memory access pattern, and if you've got so
much swapping going on that you need parallel drive activity to
support it, the price of the extra drives is probably better spent on
more RAM!

__John