[Techtalk] Turning everything black

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 17:25:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:07 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 03:45:48PM +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> > Can any one tell me how to do this?
>
> You probably want to use a feature like Curves in the GIMP.
>
> 	http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-curves.html
>
> Perhaps adjust the contrast and brightness first with the Brightness-
> Contrast tool.
>
> It will take a bit of playing to understand the tools at first.  At least
> it did for me. :-)
>
> I'm not sure if sharpening will be needed in your case.  That's usually
> for photos, but it might help your document as something to try at
> the very end.
>
> Hope that helps,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have read the page, and feel none the
wiser for it.  The Curves tool is a mystery to me: for a start, I have
no idea what the horizontal scale represents.  Secondly, unlike the
illustrations on the page, the rectangle is white all over: what on
earth the diagonal line represents in that case beats me!

David