[Techtalk] Ubuntu menu falling apart

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:00:41 UTC 2010

Hey there,

Anne Wainwright wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions but I did not solve the issue this
> way. I did try, renamed the directories with a .old extension. But
> a restart did not return to anything like a default situation.

Did you rename the .gnome and .gconf directories or just the .gnome
ones? You might have to rename them both.

> I found that a right-click on the 'Applications' menu item brought
> up an option 'Edit Menu' which allowed me to do just that by
> ticking the menu headings and applications that I wanted. So I
> would say that the menu files were not corrupted per se, but
> something did happen to cleanly remove many of the entries.

Is it possible nothing untoward happened (as far as a hardware or
software malfunction), and someone simply manually removed certain
things from the panel(s)?

> Wierd. (gee, that looks wierd, is is really spelt like that?).

Nope! This is one of the words that makes me wonder why they pounded
"I before E except after C" into us as children. (:

> Otherwise we are back to normal.

Glad to hear it! (:

--
Little Girl