[Techtalk] hot-swap RAID

Joana Botto joana.botto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:30:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I want to copy an image from a Sun Fire X2100 to another one and I'll be
using hot-swap RAID to do that.

What I usually do is without turning off the server I remove the second
disk, put a blank disk in it's place and the server will copy the data from
the first disk to the second automatically.
On the second server, I insert the disk removed from the running server,
power on the server, select RAID 1, select from which disk I want to copy
data from and let it do his own thing.

I've seen this fail before, instead of copying the data from disk A to B it
simply wipes both disks.

Could this be because I'm not doing it in the right order? Is there a
different procedure for this?
Could this be because the purpose of hot-swap RAID disks is to replace a
faulty disk without turning off the system and not copying servers?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Joana Botto