[Techtalk] What distro?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 17 03:21:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:59:22PM -0700, L J L wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:
> >L J L wrote:

> >>Compelling?  Not sure - if you like Kubuntu.  But I found it
> >>frustrating, and I'm a long time Debian and Linux user.  It was
> >>supposedly more user friendly, but it felt more like a Windows
> >>wannabe.
> >
> >Lots of people feel that way. (:
>
> Heh. I'm glad to know I'm *not* the only one.  I've had Ubuntu
> advocates tell me I was delusional, and didn't know what I was
> talking about. :(

Heh. I expect it depends on where they're coming from.  I switched to
Ubuntu from Gentoo because it was easier to administer, not because of
the way they set up their desktop. Whether that be Ubuntu => Gnome,
Kubuntu => KDE or Xubuntu => Xfce is irrelevant to me because I don't
use ANY of those major desktops.  I use a highly-customized Fvwm setup
because I love getting under the hood, and Fvwm is so very very
customizable that any time someone tries to write a GUI config app, it
always leaves things out.  As for menus, I hardly ever use them.

--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>