[Techtalk] What distro?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 19:34:19 UTC 2010

Hey there,

L J L wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:

> > What desktop settings are not available, and which controls are
> > hidden?

> I think the general control panel was just plain gone, and various
> other desktop controls required root access to change.

Ah, okay, thanks for the information.

> > I've been using the Run command from the menu for *decades*, and
> > I don't want to give that up. Older releases of Ubuntu had it in
> > the menu. Someone must have actually made the executive decision
> > to remove it!

> That was on of the other things that some fool decided that the
> user had no need of.

As it turns out, it wasn't an Ubuntu fool who did it. Debian is
missing it as well - at least it's not to be found anywhere in the
menu in debian-506-i386-netinst.iso. It can only be accessed via an
applet in the panel just like Ubuntu.

> > But if there's a compelling reason or reasons to switch to Debian
> > instead, maybe I should do that. (:

> Compelling?  Not sure - if you like Kubuntu.  But I found it
> frustrating, and I'm a long time Debian and Linux user.  It was
> supposedly more user friendly, but it felt more like a Windows
> wannabe.

Lots of people feel that way. (:

> The things against Debian proper are the slower release cycle and
> the silly tiff they have with Mozilla about the FireFox name and
> branding. The upside is the slower release cycle means less
> frequent radical upgrades, and they don't try to "fix" the UI to
> elimiate the knobs.

I would actually enjoy a slower release cycle (as seen by the fact
that I still use Hardy Heron even though it's quite outdated). What's
the tiff about the Firefox name and branding?

> YMMV, of course.  There may be a Debian Live CD available, other
> than Knoppix, I don't know off the top of my head.

I didn't find one, but I installed the .iso file I mentioned above
into VirtualBox and had some fun. I also tried out Kubuntu 10.04 in
VirtualBox and decided that they've restored enough of the Desktop
functionality that I'm willing to go ahead and upgrade to that. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.