[Techtalk] adsl and dyndns issues with changing IP addresses

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 21:53:10 UTC 2010

Hi Anne,

Sorry for the slow reply.

I'm pretty sure postgresql has SSL support and so you are probably
connecting over an SSL channel to the database already, which is good.
The only security problem here is of course that you now have 2 points
of entry into the system, one of which is a database server that
usually isn't as well secured as a ssh server (I'm thinking strength
of user passwords etc.).

It's true that if people get into it, that's all your data exposed to
the world. But then that's usually true for ssh as well. It's just the
factor of an extra entrypoint and an extra headache of having to
patrol DB as well as OS user security.

cheers,
Wim