[Techtalk] adsl and dyndns issues with changing IP addresses

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 09:22:18 UTC 2010

Hey,

I didn't entirely grok your setup, but how about just letting postgres
listen on localhost and just using a ssh tunnel if you need direct access?

Wim

On 12 Nov 2010 20:33, "Anne Wainwright" <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:

Hello, every one.

I actually have this under control, from one end at least. Using
the dyndns service and with ddclient on the office server I get easy ssh
connections to there from home through the adsl connection.

The situation deteriorates when I want to connect to the postgresql
database. In fact I can reliably achieve this, but at the home end the
aadsl allocated WAN IP address also changes when I log in afresh. This
means that I then have to ssh to the remote site and edit the
pg-hba.conf file so that this presents the new IP address as a host
address for postgresql. Then I restart postgres to reread the .conf
file, and then I get my evening connection afresh.

I didn't want to have such a wide mask that half the world could hack
in, which is the only thing I can think of at present, so am wondering
what the correct procedure should be. Is there any easy way around this?

I can't be the first person to stumble on this issue, so all schemes
considered with thanks.

bestest
Anne