[Techtalk] udev, how do I loathe thee...help please!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 8 08:23:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 09:17:33PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2010 09:08:51 pm Akkana Peck wrote:
> > Note that gnome, hal, udisks and a bevy of other daemons and services
> > are supposed to handle all this for you and automount the card.
>
> It does automount it-- in /media/[cardname], owned by root. FAT32 is no good
> for files over 3.9 GB, and I would rather use a real filesystem anyway. So I
> use ext2.
>
> According to man udev you can set permissions in udev rules, and the lords of
> udev have been nattering at us for years that is the True and Correct Way,
> and all others are folly. Yeah whatever. I have used something like your
> fstab hack before, spose I can try it again.

I used udev until it broke on me, and I gave up and went back to fstab
with LABEL=foo rather than trying to guess what device it would be.
That, of course, requires one to be able to label the card, which
shouldn't be a problem with an ext2 filesystem.

That or I temporarily start up thunar, which mounts the card in
/media/[cardname] but at least it isn't owned by root.

Kathryn Andersen
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>