[Techtalk] a better linux serial console emulator?

Kevin Lamonte kevin.lamonte at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 03:02:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 01:28:52PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> hey all,
>
> I'm using Minicom, but I'm wondering if there isn't something a little better
> to try? It's fine for everything but editing config files because it only
> displays a line at a time. Which is ever so fun on big files, and not all
> that fun on small files. I seem to recall something a little more robust and
> designed for multiple machines, but I can't find it. Or anything else. I just
> need it for one.
>
> thanks!

You might consider Qodem: http://qodem.sourceforge.net .  It's a
little "beefier" than Minicom in some respects, but it loads just as
quickly and can do serial ports, X/Y/Zmodem/Kermit, keyboard macros
(which I find very handy), and a lot more.  When I was doing PC104
form factor work over serial console it came in very handy.  Qodem
also has _really good_ VT100 emulation compared to minicom.

One note: its default "modem" (serial port) configuration has hardware
flow control (what it calls RTS/CTS) enabled, you might need to turn
that off to see anything depending on how your server is set up.

--
Kevin Lamonte <kevin.lamonte at gmail.com>