[Techtalk] Battery charge indication.

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sat May 1 20:46:04 UTC 2010

Hello ladies,

I recently had the battery pack in my trusty hp-compaq laptop repacked.
The pack was returned with printed instructions on how to proceed, but
only for Windows.

So i booted into windows, basically ensured that nothing would power
off the computer, and left it to achieve fullest quickest charge. Then
it was left on battery only and allowed to rundown fully, then on
recharge the battery chip was 'reset' and in Win it shows correct
charge level etc.

Back into Gnome, the system does not work. The above procedure
sets a chip in the battery pack? ie a hardware thing and not a
software thing and so no special procedure with a newly set battery
when powering into linux as all is already correctly set for the system
to read? But all I ever see now is an icon of a battery with a red
outline, history of power level, recharge time, etc. are
all zero.

What should I know that I don't?

thanks
Anne