[Techtalk] LinkedIn Ubuntu connection weirdness

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sun Mar 14 00:15:57 UTC 2010

> Are these https pages?

Yes

> Can you access other https pages?

Yes.  I can get into my email in gmail and yahoo, from my laptop, from the
coffee shop.  It appears that the only website I cannot access from the
coffeeshop is LinkedIn.

> Have you checked if the other people there are using some sort of
automatically configured proxy?

They do not have proxy settings.  My proxy settings said "Automatic" then I
changed them to "off" or "none".  I also changed my DNS settings to be the
same as theirs.

> Does it work for them on different browsers (I seem to recall there's some
IE-specific way of distributing proxy info.)

I'm certain one of them is using IE.  I thought the others were using
Firefox, but I will double-check.

> I'm not sure what could be going on but it sounds like some sort of
transparent proxy might be getting in the way or something. Else I
wouldn't know why it would selectively fail like that at that level.
You could always try using wireshark to take a look at your network
traffic while you attempt to access the site, maybe some clues avail
themselves.

Wireshark?  I have a note to myself somewhere to check that out.  I guess
this would be a good time.  Will do.  Gives me something new to try.  Thanks
Wim.

Meryll