[Techtalk] LinkedIn Ubuntu connection weirdness

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sat Mar 13 17:41:25 UTC 2010

Tech problem:  internet connection to LinkedIn on Ubuntu from Coffeeshop.

I have a Ubuntu (EeePC, Easy Peasy) laptop.  I can connect to every LinkedIn
page in my account when I am at home on my home wireless.

There is a coffeeshop where I go regularly for tech meetings.  All the other
members use Windows laptops.  I CAN connect fine to EVERY www site I have
tried on the internet except LinkedIn.  I can get to the first page of my
account, but any link I click inside LinkedIn (like my Inbox, or Profile)
will just keep trying to access and never get there.  The members with
Windows laptops aren't having this problem.  I can't accept or send
invitations to "join my network" from the coffeeshop.

I have tried Chrome and Firefox.  In each I have tried emptying my internet
cache and my cookies.  I have tried changing the MTU to 1000, 1200, 1360, in
/etc/network/interfaces (and restarting my network services, finally
thinking there must be something I missed, restarting my laptop) because
this is what I found recommended online.  I have tried installing nscd and
flushing my dns.

I am totally baffled as to why my follow members who have Windows laptops
can access LinkedIn from this coffeeshop and I cannot.  Any ideas?

TIA,
Meryll