[Techtalk] ethernet card problem

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Fri Mar 12 08:23:20 UTC 2010

Hi Maria,

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Maria McKinley wrote:
> John.Sturdy wrote:
> > it could be that the lack of log messages indicates that the machine itself
> > (and its NICs) is operating normally (or at least, in a way that it can't
> > tell apart from normally) and the problem is elsewhere, such as congestion
> > on the network.
>
> When this happened (twice) I was unable to ping in or out (tried both
> ips and names). Ifconfig showed that it still thought it had the correct
> ip. This has not happened since, so I have my fingers crossed there was
> just some weird glitch in the network causing the problem.

Do you have a spare switch you could swap in for the one that this machine
is connected to? Preferably a managed one with an IP address that you can
ping?

Could you also try running ethtool on the interface when it's not working,
and see what it says about the link state?

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.