[Techtalk] ssh (and telnet) and missing 's' on keyboard

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Fri Mar 5 21:11:44 UTC 2010

Hello,

<blushes> <bows head in shame>

I had found a fix for the terminal going off after a couple of minutes.
The line
$ setterm -powersave off -blank 0
was the solution.

So I put it into /etc/inputrc

well a little knowledge is a dangerous learning. whatever, 's' was the
first letter of the added line. Whatever it did, it blanked of the 's'
key, even on the server when I rebooted it. So no 'sudo' even to change
it. No 'sudo reboot'. No 's' anything.

But i telnet'd in while it was rebooting and before I logged in, and
lady luck was on my side, I could sudo the editor and change it.

Now I have put it into .bashrc , which appears to work, but on the
telnet login console I get the message 'cannot (un)set powersave mode'
- though not when I log in on the server direct. Despite the message
the screen stays on.

Anne