[Techtalk] going green

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed Jun 30 21:59:27 UTC 2010

I am getting pressure from my boss to make our servers/computers "more
green", but am at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Not even sure if
this is something to tackle in software or hardware. It seems what I
want, at least for the cluster, is something that keeps track of demand,
and turns on or wakes up computers when more processing power is needed,
  but not sure how to implement something like this. Currently, people
look on a web page to see which computers are being used the least, and
then log onto those computers to do computations. But, to make the other
scenario work, would need some central place to log on, and then have
the computer decide where to send the process, and whether to "wake up"
a computer. Any ideas or experience with this sort of stuff out there?

thanks,
maria