[Techtalk] disk labels and external drives

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Jun 29 03:09:06 UTC 2010

Miriam English wrote:
> So I might label a disk "text" and set up an fstab line like this:
> LABEL=text  /mnt/text  ext3  defaults  0 0
>
> Then after that I can refer to it using /mnt/text in all linux commands.

Except it doesn't work...
Anybody know why?

I created the appropriate directory /mnt/wd1
then entered a line in fstab
LABEL=wd1  /mnt/wd1  ext3  defaults  0 0

but when I tried to mount it
mount /mnt/wd1
it returned the error:
mount: mounting LABEL=wd1 on /mnt/wd1 failed

Using blkid on the appropriate /dev address
blkid /dev/sdb1
returns:
/dev/sdb1: UUID="587c12bc-e5da-4a55-a40f-8a5d057e6020" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
TYPE="ext3" LABEL="wd1"

It's not mounted, but blkid can see it, so I expect mount should be able
to see the label too. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory