[Techtalk] Detect if Dump used multiple tapes for backup.

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Tue Jun 22 12:31:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:03:22AM -0400 or thereabouts, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Conor Daly wrote:
>
> > I'm backing up a 300Gb filesystem to an SDLT320 tape and,
> > occasionally, the weekly level 0 dump will overflow to a second
> > tape.
> >
> I'm not sure if this will be of any use to you, but I've attached a
> small Bash script that checks the size of a directory (in KB) and
> displays the results (also ringing the system bell for undesired
> results). Maybe you could add something like this into the mix.

I think the script got stripped by the mailman software...

> I don't have any magnetic tapes, so I don't know if regular
> scripts will even work on them. If this is totally off base,
> please ignore. (:

Mag tapes are a different kind of storage.  Basically data gets written /
read sequentially so there's no real way to interact with a tape.  Depending
on the software that wrote the tape, there may be a catalogue stored at the
beginning of the tape but there's no real way to know about size stored.

In particular, tape capacity is usually quoted as uncompressed / compressed
size.  So, our SDLT320 tape is a 160Gb uncompressed / 320Gb compressed tape.
In the normal course, the tape drive will do hardware compression of data
and this will do a good job of squeezing data onto the tape unless the data
consists of already compressed files (eg. images, tarballs etc).  Given that
a lot of our data is stored as images, we will occasionally overrun a single
tape.

My current problem is that I can't come up with an easy way to check if a
particular tape contains a complete or only partial backup.  At the moment
I'm leaning towards the notion of keeping a tally on the main disk of which
tape has what and using that to decide which tape to write to next.

Conor

--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.