[Techtalk] Moving Websites: 301 Redirect

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 09:52:38 UTC 2010

It's typically not in the request, which is why you have to use
javascript to get it out.

This is, for instance, why facebook URL's look like this:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/?sk=messages

It's so that if you click an ad or perhaps (not sure) download the
iframe to it, the referrer field will only contain
"http://www.facebook.com/" and no other personally identifying
information (not that they don't share this, but they expect
advertisers to pay for it).

cheers,
Wim