[Techtalk] Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Jan rathgild at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 23:19:23 UTC 2010

On 15/07/10 23:25, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I have a Quad core AMD with nvidia graphics card and to run Google
> Earth I had to find updated drivers. I downloaded the newest from
> nvidia but was stumped for installation. I'm ignorant when it comes to
> command line use. On the Kubuntu list someone suggested System >
> Hardware Drivers. Worked like a charm.

Right I seem to have fixed the problem and it involved using an older
version of the nvidia drivers.

So here's the technical bit for reference.

Mother board is an ASRock ALiveNF6G-DVI with built-in GeForce6 graphics
(GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 to be precise).

Ubuntu 10.4 gave me the option of three nvidia drivers: version 173,
version 96 and current version but had selected and installed the
current version by default.  It appears that all of these *should*
support GeForce series 6.  However, the current version wasn't working
for me, this could be that the new version is a bit buggy or it could be
a combination of factors on my system that it didn't like, it
proprietary software so we may never know!

I installed version 173 which is compatible with GeForce series 5 to
series 9, tweaked the config, restarted the machine and it's now vastly
improved.

As an example, before Chrome was taking about 1-2 mins to start up, now
it starts almost instantaneously.

So the snail on valium is now a rabbit on speed.

Thanks again to Carla for pointing me in the right direction and to
everyone else with all the helpful links and suggestions.

Regards

Jan
Edinburgh