[Techtalk] Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

rathgild at gmail.com rathgild at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:17:19 UTC 2010

First of all sorry for the top post. I'm on my BB and this seems to be the only way it will operate (bad RIM).

I did notice that there was a strange icon that claimed to be indexing files.  I suspended the process but haven't removed the package but it didn't make any difference.

Apropos Carla's message I've already run top and there is nothing showing up with particularly heavy use.  Firefox is a memory hound as always but it's within acceptable limits.  I tried using one application at a time to see if one of them is having a noticable effect on performance but they are all as slow as each other.  The load is always showing to be quite low certainly no more than 2 or 3 yet it's running as thought the load is up in the 30s.

I'm can't give any more specific details about what's running and at what level as I'm at work but raised the question because I'm at a loss as to what else to look for when I finally get home and have another attempt at sorting this.  Thanks for the suggestions they are all useful.

Jan
Edinburgh