[Techtalk] going green

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Jul 1 02:34:40 UTC 2010

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Tracey Hytry wrote:
> In a related question, does anyone have experience with a shop that
> makes custom rackmount computers, willing to build and warranty machines
> that don't have hard drives?

Have you looked at NorhTec and Xcore86?
http://www.norhtec.com
http://www.xcore86.com
They make machines that use about 2 watts of power based on the Xcore86
device that is an entire computer on a chip. There are no moving parts
in their machines because they don't get hot enough to require fans.
This makes them ultra-reliable -- no mechanical parts to break down and
no dust clogging stuff up. They use Flash RAM storage internally, though
I have mine hooked up to external hard drives via USB as well. I believe
they are open to custom jobs. They've always been friendly and helpful
in my dealings with them.

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory