[Techtalk] Additional LAMP MySQL in Ubuntu hitch RESOLUTION

Leslie MacDougall lesmacdee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 06:50:47 UTC 2010

Just a further comment on the LAMP install problem. I used this tut for my
install 2nd time around
http://tuxtweaks.com/2009/10/install-lamp-on-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/comment-page-3/#comment-2161
and couldn't get the phpmyadmin page to display - this wasn't in the first
install tut I used, so it never came up.
Thanks to Mike Kenzie, collector of vintage computers
http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600I <http://www.ncf.ca/%7Eba600I>
I got it to work using
sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

to insert the below code into apache2.conf - at bottom of page.
Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf

Tut source:
http://tolearnfree.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-install-apache2-php5-mysql-and.html
then I used the apache restart command
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Original thread:
I have LAMP installed, but cannot get either mysql or php to start.
I also installed TweetDeck and could not get it to run either. Apache is
running just fine.
I installed using command line, not gui, but a check on Synaptic Package
Manager says that these programs are definitely installed.

I got this:
An error seems to have occurred while installing the database. If it's of
any help,
this was the error encountered:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

My efforts caused dpkg to crash and I had to reinstall. I got mysql to the
point where I was added as a user, but when I tried to start mysql the next
morning, I got that socket error AGAIN - the same one that started all this
in the first place!!! mysql -u root didn't work (permission denied).

The command I needed was mysql -u root -p.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all on this, I was actually having
another go at installing TweetDeck when my hard drive crashed.
TweetDeck loaded ok in Ubuntu 9.10. I installed TD and AdobeAIR in the same
download though, rather than separately as I did first try. ???

Hope this is useful,
Regards, Leslie