[Techtalk] Name Service Lookup Fails Under Wordpress

Kai MacTane kai at mactane.org
Fri Jan 22 17:39:40 UTC 2010

Wim De Smet wrote:

> Just going back through the previous mails, I was wondering if you've
> tried doing your own fsockopen() call instead of using gethostbyname()
> to test if it works.

Right after my testing code, the original code does its own fsockopen(),
which fails. I can't see why my own fsockopen() wouldn't fail as well.

I could try making absolutely *sure* that all the arguments are as they
should be, I suppose.

> I've come across some references to the problem being no valid DNS
> servers at the time of apache startup, which sounds plausible.

I've restarted Apache at least once or twice while investigating this
problem; there was definitely a valid BIND running on this machine the
last time Apache started up.

Thank you again for all your help.

--
Kai MacTane