[Techtalk] Name Service Lookup Fails Under Wordpress

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 08:53:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Kai MacTane <kai at mactane.org> wrote:
> * If I run a gethostbyname() call on the wp-admin/index.php page
>  on kai.mactane.org, it works just fine.
> * Similarly, if I run gethostbyname() inside the IXR_Client->query()
>  method on kai.mactane.org, it works fine (and the LJ cross-
>  posting is working fine on that blog).
> * If I run gethostbyname() in the ninja-coder.net admin index page,
>  it works just fine.
> * But if I run it in the IXR_Client->query() method on ninja-coder.net,
>  it fails.

It is weird that it would work in the admin interface, if that is
running in the exact same instance of your server. Might indeed be a
PHP problem. Can you try doing a lookup from the cmdline (with dig)
when it fails in PHP to see if everything resolves correctly?

The contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf might be interesting too.

regards,
Wim