[Techtalk] periodic loud hard drive noise

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jan 15 22:23:42 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010 02:03:08 pm Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Carla Schroder wrote:
> > On Friday 15 January 2010 04:07:36 am Ande's Help .Net Info wrote:
> >> It sounds as if the hard drive could be getting indexed.  Some hard
> >> drives are louder than others when being searched by the system for file
> >> indexing.
> >
> > That's a good thought. Even so, it shouldn't be that noisy. If it is the
> > old IDE drive I'm going to decommission it. Maybe at the shooting range
> > :)
> >
> > Carla
>
> Carla,
>
> Is that windows drive mounted under linux? If not, then no SW action on
> Linux will access it.
> The reason i asked about entries in the system logs, is that in my
> experience a grinding sound from the disk indicates a broken disk.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rudy

It is mounted. I installed openSUSE on this PC a couple weeks ago, and it
automatically mounted all the local drives. Which explains why I'm hearing
this noise now, and not before. If my better half would quit using the darned
thing I could disconnect it just to make sure it is the old drive.

I also want to try iotop and some other utils while I have the chance. It's
not often anymore I get a sick patient to experiment on :)

Carla

--
check out my books!