[Techtalk] no boot after replacing cpu cooler

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jan 15 03:42:41 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 05:39:49 pm Carla Schroder wrote:
> This is my Bad Computers week... I have a new Phenom X3. I replaced the
> stock CPU cooler with an Arctic Cooling Freezer64, which is supposed to be
> all wonderful and fabulous and stuff like that. My PC does not boot with
> the new heatsink, it doesn't even post. It powers up and fans come on, but
> that's it.
>
> When I put the old heatsink back in, it's back to normal and everything
> works. Any bright ideas?
>
> checklist:
> Yes, I clean off old thermal paste and apply new
> Yes, it's installed the right way :)
> No, there is no thermal paste glopped & creating shorts

This is driving me batty, now it does not post at all. I tried the old
heatsink again, then tried the old CPU. Nada. Power up, fans, no post. I took
out the motherboard and examined it all over with a magnifiying glass and did
not see scorches, blown capacitors, or any other apparent defects. The new
heatsink has a much stiffer clamp than the old one, and applies more
pressure. Could it have done some kind of not-visible damage?

Dangit, this is my shiny new Phenom, and I only got to use for a couple days.

Carla

--
check out my books!