[Techtalk] Cannot get LAMP mysql or php to start

Leslie MacDougall lesmacdee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 02:30:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Wim De Smet <kromagg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Leslie,
>
> It's best to reply to list, so others can follow along. :-)

Hi, I don't have the option reply to list, but am hoping 'reply to
all' is the same thing.

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Leslie MacDougall <lesmacdee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Tweetdeck lives on top of adobe air it seems, so I assume that's a
>> different problem entirely.
>> Yes. It's just annoying that I can't get anything (except Apache) to
>> run after installing. I want to see what TweetDeck is like, but have
>> been unable to find a Linux user running it.
>>
>> can you check to make sure:
>> apt-cache policy mysql-server
>> apt-cache policy mysql-server-5.0
>> dpkg -L mysql-server-5.0 | ls -d >/dev/null (will complain only if any
>> of the files are missing on the file system)
>> These should be the default packages for mysql-server-5.0 in 9.04 I can see.
>>
>> I have had quite a time of it with mysql today. I eventually
>> discovered that I did not have either mysql_install_db or
>> mysql_secure_installation in /usr/bin - it would be interesting to
>> know how they got lost! And something tells me that they are rather
>> important :S I figured that uninstall-reinstall would be easiest (I am
>> a VERY new user - 2 months)
>
> It would be nice to see the outputs of the above commands, to know
> what is installed and from where, exactly. (just paste them in a
> terminal, you can execute them as a normal user)

lolz at lolz-ubuntu:/var/lib/dpkg$ apt-cache policy mysql-server
mysql-server:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10
  Version table:
     5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10 0
        500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
lolz at lolz-ubuntu:/var/lib/dpkg$ apt-cache policy mysql-server-5.0
mysql-server-5.0:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10
  Version table:
     5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10 0
        500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lolz at lolz-ubuntu:/var/lib/dpkg$ dpkg -L mysql-server-5.0 | ls -d >/dev/null
lolz at lolz-ubuntu:/var/lib/dpkg$

However, last night one of my Linux friends tried a fix and now we are
stuck in a loop:

(About my Linux friend: Dominique Morel is a long-term Unix/Linux user
and a retired professional programmer. He lectured in Computer
Science, teaching Linux at Post Grad level. He *has* used Ubuntu, but
not much. He used Mandrake at the university, and uses Slackware at
home. Seems to me that if he can't figure out what is going on, then I
don't have much chance. He says I should just reinstall Ubuntu and
then try again with LAMP.)

>> I can't do anything unless I run Isudo dpkg --configure -a
>> running it gives the above error over an over again no matter which
>> option you choose.
>
> Can you give us the error in its entiry? Especially the few lines
> before/after it so we know which package is throwing them.

I tried to do this but unfortunately itshut my browser down, and
crashed my computer a few minutes later. I am sending this from
someone else's (WINDOWS :((( !!!) machine.

lolz at lolz-ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -alolz at lolz-ubuntu:~$ sudo
dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for lolz:
Setting up mtop (0.6.6-1.2) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mtop.postinst: 92: mysql: not found
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mtop.postinst: 92: mysql: not found
dpkg: error processing mtop (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Setting up libdspam7-drv-mysql (3.6.8-9ubuntu3) ...
dbconfig-common: writing config to /etc/dbconfig-common/libdspam7-drv-mysql.conf
*** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf, but
             the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer
             script should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf,
             and pass it this parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using
             old-style, non-debconf prompting. Ugh!

             Please inform the package maintainer about this problem.
warning: database package not installed?
dbconfig-common: libdspam7-drv-mysql configure: aborted.
dbconfig-common: flushing administrative password
dpkg: error processing libdspam7-drv-mysql (--configure):
Setting up auth2db-common (0.2.5-2+dfsg-1.1ubuntu1) ...

The configuration program rakes over terminal and you get the loop,
already described, within this. I must reset terminal to be able to
retrieve the above readout.
I will now try to findand  kill -9 the sudo dpkg --configuration
before it recrashes my computer.