[Techtalk] keeping packages in sync

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:22:10 UTC 2010

Hey there,

Kay Nettle wrote:

> Those of you that support multiple machines, how do you keep your
> machines in sync?

I use Mirrordir:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6564

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-duplicate-directory-using-mirrordir-command.html

http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/mirrordir.html

Lightning fast, powerful, yet with a simple command structure. I
trust it implicitly and have been using it for years. Last I heard
it's no longer being maintained, but it works just fine, so I intend
to use it until something in the operating system makes it obsolete.
(:

> I want to be able to install the updates on one machine, test if it
> breaks anything, then have all the desktops (~600) install the
> updates.  Is anyone using pkgsync?  Does anyone have any
> suggestions (other than rolling my own setup)?

You might want to create your own repository. I've got a page on how to do that here:

http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/packagemanagement/createrepository/

Of particular interest would probably be the Network repository
section.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.